Mira Hershey Hall Adaptive Reuse and Seismic Upgrade University of California, Los Angeles
Mira Hershey Hall, originally constructed in 1934 as the Women’s Residence is part of the historic core campus of UCLA eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. The courtyard building was seismically reinforced and rehabilitated as an adaptive reuse into science researcher’s offices and support spaces. Cast stone balconies, original handrails, steel windows and tile roof were all repaired, cleaned and re-installed with upgraded attachments and renewed finishes. The building was also improved with fire and life safety improvements including a new sprinkler system and accessible facilities. Kaplan Chen Kaplan served as Historic Architect providing design input, specifications for treatment of historic elements and construction phase review.